Welcome!

I hope you enjoy my blog, a collection of articles and thoughts regarding my interests. I'm a married father of two that loves to write about gliding, hunting, fishing, camping and any outdoor passion. Oh yah, I'm a quadriplegic. I hope this is informative to some, entertaining to others, and interesting to all. Let me know what you think. If you'd like an article for your publication, I've got words I haven't even used yet!

Tuesday 31 January 2012

Low Budget Four Wheel Drive Wheelchair

     Here is a short video that shows how we took a Quickie P 300 power wheelchair and converted it into a four-wheel-drive power wheelchair. The total cost was a little over $100. One of the problems I've always found was wanting to go outdoors more, but there were very few wilderness locations that were wheelchair accessible. Inevitably when I did find a place with fishing opportunities that was wheelchair accessible it would be very crowded with people and not so crowded with fish. This new four-wheel-drive wheelchair has opened up the world, and I'm having to rethink about the areas that are possible for me to get to. I can see now that the streams in the mountains will be accessible for fly fishing, and trails in the forests will be possible for bow hunting. In the past I have been to several beaches, but found out that my power chair would get stuck so they were inaccessible to me. Now this chair has proven that it can go through soft sand without any trouble, these areas are all going to be open to me! If you are like most people in wheelchairs and have a handyman in your back pocket, it really wasn't that difficult to build this thing and it only took my friend Garnet MacDonald about a week to do! Let me know if you want any better pictures or info on how this was built.





18 comments:

  1. Do you have instructions or a parts list? this would really help me in building one for myself
    Thanks
    Ed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't really have a parts list, Garnet kind of mocked it up in his garage, and then scrounged materials. We have a store called Princess Auto nearby that has sprockets, chains, etc real cheap. All we have is pictures as it was built, I can send what we have if you'd like.

      Kary

      Delete
    2. Hi
      My name is brad amy, and I am a teacher in Prince Albert, Sask. I am the father of Cole, a 15 year old boy who mas Muscular Dystrophy. Everything is being slowly taken from him, and I would love for him to go down to the beach on a 4 by 4 chair. We will do it as a class project,as I am a shop teacher. Can you please send all of the pics you have to badbrad631@yahoo.ca? I would LOVE to get building this right away
      My phone number is 763-3237

      Thanks and great work!!!
      /brad

      Delete
    3. They're on their way!

      Delete
  2. Could you send the pictures to me also epec@webname.com.
    Thank You,
    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking for an off road chair for a friend who had a stroke early this year. Looking to build something so he can get back to his deer stand this fall. If you could send the pictures that would be great. flash1355@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the pictures help, it is so great to go off-road!

      Delete
  4. I would love to receive your pictures. I have been looking for plans to built an all terrain chair. My email address is hps1960@charter.net. Any advice on building the chair is appreciated. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have them, I thought I sent them earlier but apologize if I didn't. Hope it works for you!

      Delete
  5. Can you send me pictures please? It would be great to be able to these places. msgtgross@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you please Email me pictures and parts list or whatever you have on the construction of the chair .

    Thank you Email address timfromwork@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent them, if you need more info let me know.

      Delete
  7. Hello I am Kenny I need to build a chair my grandson is 11 he has muscular dystrophy. I gave 2 chairs but what about the joy stick steering and tire size. Please send me any info you can. Thank you for sharing this very important and practical information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you email me at ve6kjw@hotmail.com and I'll send pics.

      Delete
  8. Could you please send pictures and any availability of parts needed

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like the plans if you still have them. I'm a quadriplegic who loves the outdoors, but I'm limited to what I can do and where I can go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can email pics of how it was built, there really weren't any formal plans.

      Delete