Welcome!

I hope you enjoy my blog, a collection of articles and thoughts regarding my interests. I'm a married father of two that loves to write about gliding, hunting, fishing, camping and any outdoor passion. Oh yah, I'm a quadriplegic. I hope this is informative to some, entertaining to others, and interesting to all. Let me know what you think. If you'd like an article for your publication, I've got words I haven't even used yet!

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Quadriplegic Lifestyles: Glider Pilot

One of my passions is flying gliders. Here is a video that shows how a quadriplegic can get into and actually fly a glider. This was shot at the Edmonton Soaring Club near Edmonton Alberta, Canada.


4 comments:

  1. Absolutely Awesome, Cant wait to show my Dad this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great feedback Joe, it's really appreciated!

    Kary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any more info on the glider and the handcontrols used? Also, how they are operated? Does it get busy on final, control stick, rudder, spoilers (three things, two hands). As detailed and technical as possible.

    Do you have any info on other gliders that have handcontrols installed? I am aware of the Grob 103, I believe it's handcontrols come from the Grob and are not STC'd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glider in this story is a Puchacz which doesn't have the rudder control for me. The Edmonton Soaring Club where I fly has a glider on order with full hand controls (Perkoz), including the rudder. The Cunim Gliding Club near Calgary Alberta has an ASK21 that has the rudder control. It is a lever on the left side that you push forward for left rudder and pull back for right rudder. It does take some organizational skills to get it straight in your head, but after a while it seems natural. With my lack of hand movement I find it difficult to operate the spoilers, so a pilot in the back sets those for landing for me. With practice I'm sure that I'll be able to handle the spoilers too.

      Delete